King Alexander and Louis Barthou, Shot Down in Streets of Marseilles by Revolutionists. Furious Spectators Batter Killer to Death As His Victims Die. Alexander Murdered - "Universal Newsreel brings you the First Actual motion pictures of the murder of King Alexander of Jugoslavia and French Foreign Minister Barthou" scenes of the King arriving on cruiser at Marseilles, ride through town, shots, mob beats the assassin, a Croatian. ( 3 reviews )
(1) "Strasbourg, capital of Alsace-Lorraine, is captured by the Americans and the French. Flooded canals testify to the unruly weather being encountered. Tons of heavy equipment have been left by the Nazis in their headlong retreat. And swastikas by the thousand, are trod under foot by sullen Nazi prisoners. Various villages, including Baseweiler, are bombarded, then entered. Many Yanks are wounded. Following the scorched earth policy, the Nazis have applied the torch to many of the towns,... ( 1 reviews )
Adlai Stevenson at UN speaks on Cuban Missile Crisis; Castro builds up defenses in Cuba; cameras installed in airplane, photos show details, MiG-21 jets, OAS endorsed US in 20-0 vote, Dean Rusk shown at this meeting; Guantanamo base marines arrive; UN building exterior, Adlai Stevenson speaks (complete newsreel)
1) Salk vaccine being administered, to babies, twin girls, Indians of Oklahoma (2) Thomas Gates become Secy Navy at Pentagon, Radford replaced by Twining, arrival of Brazil general Vaza to consult defense planners, Ike given medal by Pan-American Society (partial newsreel).
(1) hurricane Connie hits Carolinas, much crop damage, veers north, sideswipes NY, floods in suburbs (2) Flying boxcars collide, 66 die in ?Germany (3) Korea demonstrations support Syngman Rhee who wants arms inspectors to leave the country, and U.S. troops use tear gas (4) 11 American fliers return to Travis AFB (5) sports: soapbox derby in Akron Ohio, at Derby Downs only used once a year for this event (6) college allstars vs Cleveland Browns football game (complete newsreel)
JFK speaks on Cuban Missile Crisis - "Soviet military buildup on the island of Cuba" - "a strict quarantine on all offensive military equipment has been initiated" - "clandestine, reckless" - JFK had meeting with Gromyko (partial newsreel)
Titan II launch in South Atlantic, with camera on 2nd stage - makes film of stage separation above earth, "The curvature of the earth is plainly visible. Through the magic of the camera earthlings take their first ride into space." (partial newsreel) ( 1 reviews )
(1) B-47 a-bomb fell on house in SC, first such accident (2) Los Angeles - automatic control of machine tool production line, using punched tape, developed by Hughes Aircraft Company (partial newsreel). ( 14 reviews )
"The cleverest anti-Nazi propaganda yet! You will howl with glee when you see and hear what our London newsreel friends have cooked up for Hitler and his goose-stepping armies. The 'Nasties' skip and sway in tune to the Lambeth Walk!" - humorous editing of German newsreels to make fun of Hitler and the Nazis. (partial newsreel) ( 9 reviews )
Antiwar demonstrators protest in Central Park, march to UN building, included students and hippies and priests and nuns, burn draft cards, shouted confrontations with anti-antiwar marchers, prowar signs, Martin Luther King leads procession; another march in downtown San Francisco down Market Street to stadium, sponsored by loose coalition of left-wing anti-war groups, "President Johnson meanwhile let it be known that the FBI is closely watching all anti-war activity."- violence in... ( 1 reviews )
(1) wreckage of U-2 of Gary Powers on display in Moscow, Khrushchev with press; Khrushchev arrives in Paris "in ugly mood"; Ike arrives "unsmiling" and speaks at airport, Khrushchev "insulting tirade" torpedoed the summit talks (no pics of Khrushchev)(2) France launched world's largest passenger liner, the SS France, commissioned by Madam De Gaulle (partial newsreel) Topic: newsreel
Whole issue on Friendship 7 Mercury space flight of John Glenn; Glenn getting ready, puts on space suit, walks to launch pad, 6 am EST, 10 months after Gagarin, gets into his capsule on top Atlas missile, rocket blastoff, animation of capsule turning around, go for 7 orbits, "actual pictures of Glenn in the capsule" and animations of Glenn's orbit around earth, destroyer Noah lifts capsule aboard, Glenn rests and then lifted aboard helicopter for flight to carrier USS Randolph...
Akron, Ohio: Striking views of the official tests of the USS Macon, the largest airship in the world, just completed for the U.S. Navy. She is a sister ship of the wrecked Akron." (some parts silent of this partial newsreel without narration)
"Washington, DC: In a dramatic newsreel interview at the White House, the Chief Executive reviews the accomplishments of his two-months-old administration, promising further leislation designed to better economic conditions throughout the United States and to improve the financial standing of the industrial worker, the farmer and others." President Promises Better Wages For Industry Workers - scenes include FDR speaking Fireside Chat #2 - poor visual image of FDR's face. (partial...
Lodge in UN Security Council denied RB-47 on spy flight, "what actually happend was this" points at map "there's the red arrow of the Soviet fight" - "this astonishing and criminal fact was established beyond doubt by our scientific devices that followed the RB-47
Expo 67 the largest world's fair ever opens in Canada, on two man-made islands in St. Lawrence River, on 100th anniversary of Canada, jets fly overhead, waterfalls (partial newsreel) Related dates: April 27, 1967: Inaugural Ceremonies for Expo 67 April 28, 1967: Expo 67 opens to the public May 2, 1967: Release date for this film ( 3 reviews )
"Washington, DC: Remarkable scenes showing Two Billion Dollars in Federal Reserve Bank Notes being turned out by the Bureau of Engraving and Printing to meet the current cash famine. William H. Woodin, Secretary of the Treasury, praises the efficiency of the plant, and tells how the resulting bills will relieve the situation." scenes of Secretary Woodin in money printing plant, trucks carry cash to banks. (silent partial newsreel)
Chicago, IL: Impressive views of the Canadian Essex Scottish fighting unit, wearing plaid kilts designed for the ancient clan of McGregor, marching along the Avenue of Flags at the Century of Progress Exposition, during an official visit to the Fair. (some parts silent of this partial newsreel without narration)
"Washington, DC: Epochal scenes in the Senate chamber, following passage of the much-debated bill to aid England. Spokesmen of opposing factions comment on the outcome!" (speech sound) (partial newsreel) ( 1 reviews )
"Washington, DC: Pres.Roosevelt tells Congress that the U.S. must prepare to turn out a vast air fleet to safeguard America from hostile invasion. He requests an additional Billion Dollars for defense! Heads of the aviation industry meet under Government auspices to discuss means of meeting the 50,000-plane figure. A spokesman for the group says it can be done!" (speech sound) (partial newsreel)
"New York, NY: Addressing the National Conference of Catholic Charities, the Chief Executive is seen in striking pictures, making an appeal for continued unemployment relief this winter, urging every community to aid the destitute, and promising that the Federal Government will do its share to assist the deserving needy. Many notables, including His Eminenece, Patrick Cardinal Hayes, hear Mr. Roosevelt's plea." sound of FDR speaking. (partial newsreel)
Britain's Prime Minister reviews U.S. and British troops at Iceland on way home from historic meeting - " Iceland: Prime Minister Churchill gets warm welcome from hardy Icelanders as he arrives on 'Prince of Wales.' He reviews U.S. Marines now sharing in defense of strategic island. On way home, his ship passes big convoy, and in London, he is met by Mrs. Churchill and high British officials, as cheering crowds hail his return." sound of Churchill speaking. (partial newsreel)
News in Brief story on Berlin, showing pictures of US soldiers and tanks and British troops who convoy boy going to school, building Berlin Wall, young couple waves from window (partial newsreel) ( 3 reviews )
(1) "Washington: Hearings begin before the House Un-American Activities Committee, on charges of communist infiltration in Hollywood, Chirman Thomas outlines the scope of the probe; while Eric Johnston, head of the M.P.A., denies the threat of communist influence and states that the Reds will never succeed in Hollywood." scenes of HUAC chaired by J. Parnell Thomas and its investigation of the Hollywood 10 (partial newsreel).
"Washington, DC: In a stirring appeal to the public to donate $10,000,000 to the Red Cross War Relief Fund, Mrs. Roosevelt says that the horrors of war abroad make necessary contributions from all Americans!" (sound of Eleanor Roosevelt speaking) (partial newsreel)
(1) Reel 1 - "Nanking" (2) Reel 2 - "Uncensored!!! Unedited!!! The U.S.S. Panay Bombing in its entirey - exactly as photographed!" (this newsreel special is 22 minutes long, with music and narration) ( 3 reviews )
(1) - "Pres. Roosevelt cites Italy's capitulation as a victory for the Italian people, as well as for Gen. Eisenhower, as he officially opens the Third War Loan Drive." includes scenes from Fireside Chat #26 and speech sound announcing Italian surrender (2) Churchill at Harvard - "Harvard confers its coveted degree upon Winston Churchill. In his speech, the Prime Minister pledges that England will march side by side with the U.S. to complete victory." (3) Blast Nazi...
(1) Ike returns to U.S. after Geneva summit conference, to cheers of 5000 at airport, welcomed by Nixon, ike speaks in rain "there is evidence of new friendliness in the world" (2) Hercules C-130 plane first test flight, built at Marietta GA (3) Big Red One division arrive at Brooklyn Army base (4) 9th annual toy review in manhattan, model aeobatic plane (partial newsreel)
Sequals, Italy: Colorful scenes as the world's heavyweight boxing champion is welcomed by his family and cheered by his neighbors in the little village where he was born, and of which he is now the 'first citizen.'" - no sound
(1) Japanese Films of atomic bomb blast at Hiroshima, released one year later (2) Underwater atom blast rocks Bikini (line down middle of film frames) Admiral Blandy commander of task force, 2nd test of Operation Crossroads, cameras point to site of underwater explosion Test Baker, mushroom cloud of explosion, carrier Saratoga finally sinks, another view of the blast from overhead airplane. (sound track cuts out at very end) ( 2 reviews )
Chicago: Exclusive sound pictures of Cecil H. Dill, of Traverse Coty, Michigan, an aspiring radio artist demonstrating his ability to render popular melodies by pressing his hands together. Dill modestly tells how he discovered his unusual talent. (partial newsreel) ( 1 reviews )
"Washington, DC: Cordell Hull, Secretary of State, warns Americans to re-arm, to prepare against the threat of 'brute force'! Meanwhile, Gen. John J. Pershing, head of our Army during the World War, returns to lend his weight to speeding defense measures." (sound of Hull speaking) (partial newsreel) ( 1 reviews )
A documentary short film produced by the Great Britain Ministry of Information, released by the Office of War Information, distributed by the War Activities Committee of the Motion Picture Industry, introduced and narrated by Edward R. Murrow: "On the stamina of residents of Dover, England, during German bombing. Recounts two years of German aerial attacks on Dover and their lessening as England strikes back. Soldiers and citizens express confidences. Shows scenes of destruction and of...
Mussolini Executed - "Il Duce Obit 1945 - Benito Mussolini orates before his Black Shirt Legions and confers with his arch conspirator, Hitler. Reverses strike and Hitler rescues him from the Allies. Currently, he returns to Milan only to be tried and killed in the same inglorious way that he had meted out punishment to his political foes." (partial newsreel)